Josiah was studying "Now and Then" in social studies with Mrs. Lemmon. Her assignment was to bring something old to share. So she brought her Gipa and his 1915 Model T Ford. The kids had lots of questions, and lots of fun honking the TIIIOOOOOGGGAAA horn. Even I learned a few things..... Gipa has only had this car about 5 years. He bought it from a friend whose family had owned it since it was brand new. The car sat in a garage for many decades. Since owning the car, Gigi and Gipa have driven it over 2,5oo miles!! What a treat to see the smiles on the kids faces as they asked questions. Their smiles made me realize that perhaps I have taken for granted this old car. I even heard one little boy whisper as Gipa drove around the parking lot with Josiah, Piper and Adalie in the car.... "wow, she is soooo lucky!" And you know what.... we are!!
But my favorite part of the day had to be driving home from the school. I sat in the back seat watching Adalie and Gipa sit side by side. The old car slowly rumbled up the hills. And I remembered fondly the times I had sat in that same spot as a little girl, next to my grandpa in his old car. Who would have thought that my girls would be privileged enough to share in these same memories? Indeed..... we are sooooo lucky!!
No comments:
Post a Comment