Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lessons

This wonderful journey of parenting has never ceased to amaze and delight me! As soon as you think that you have something figured out, it never fails to change. And today was no different. Today, not just one of our girls, but both taught me a valuable lesson.
Let me tell you that Josiah is the single most generous person that I know! Each day she saves her after school treat from her teacher so that her sister can share a bite with her. Most of the time, the treasure chest surprises she receives for good behavior from school, she chooses with her sisters' tastes in mind. She works tirelessly on crafts, drawings, and writings only to immediately dedicate and gift them to someone else. Last year at AWANA, she spent every AWANA buck she had on gifts for someone else. This year at Santa's Secret shop, as I watched most the other children picking treats for themselves, Josiah chose a very thoughtful and amazingly appropriate gift for everyone in her family. She is, without a doubt, the most generous person I know. I must admit, although I encourage her actions, they come solely from her spirit, not mine. I am a great deal more selfish than she! Today she came to me in tears; tears that most likely came from fatigue, but tears nonetheless. And she ever so gently asked why when she always gives gifts to others, that rarely does someone give one to her? And it was then I knew that although I am so proud of her generous spirit and lavish her with praise and thanks, that I do not spend the same time, thought and effort in reciprocating her actions. She doesn't mean gifts of worth, she means gifts of value! She means something that I have poured my heart into, knowing that it is something she will love!
My little Adalie. She is often times a contradiction; wanting to be a big girl and do everything herself (including bombing down the ski slopes shouting "I can do it Mom" while I desperately chase her telling her to make some turns and slow it down!!) while still loving to be the baby, coddled by us all! She is fiercely independent and yet still very much my bosom baby. And today she clearly showed me, in her little Adalie way, a contradiction of my own. I love a clean house. I love it all picked up and perfect, counters wiped off and floors clean. And yet, it is not our clean and perfect house that I want my girls to remember, but the fun and laughter and love that they had while in it! But these things cannot exist simultaneously, or at least I have not figured out how they can exist simultaneously. But tonight at dinner, Adalie initiated a food fight with her orange wedges and the fun began. She carelessly tossed her orange wedge and then threw her head back in fits or laughter! We laughed until we cried and then some. Between giggles, when I looked and saw the delight in our daughters' eyes, I threw caution to the wind and joined them in their silliness. And I must say.... it was worth it!

I love that seeing the world through their eyes creates such an awesome perspective. May my eyes always be open to the things they have to teach me! Thank you God for giving us not just 1, but 2 little beings that teach me such great things......

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, so sweet! Adalie and Tess sound quite similar!

Love the new header!

Denise said...

what sweet words (and girls) carrie. great pix too.

is that avila beach?